Step 1: Make it
What is it?
Turn your BBC micro:bit into a scrolling name badge with just a few instructions.
How it works
- This project makes a great introduction to coding the micro:bit.
- You’ll discover how easy it is to create sets of instructions, or algorithms, in code, which is a language a computer like a micro:bit can understand.
- The program you’ll create scrolls text across the screen to show your name.
- It uses an infinite loop which keeps your name scrolling on the micro:bit’s LED display output until you unplug the micro:bit from its battery or USB lead.
What you need
- micro:bit (or MakeCode simulator)
- MakeCode or Python editor
- battery pack (optional)
Step 2: Code it
Step 3: Improve it
- Add more ‘show string’ blocks to say more about yourself.
- Add a ‘show icon’ block to show how you’re feeling or express your personality.
- Design a way of wearing your micro:bit badge using thread, tape or Velcro. (Don't use safety pins as the metal could damage your micro:bit.)
This content is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) licence.